Thursday, August 16, 2012

Waves of mercy

Well, we just got back from the beach and we are all worn out! We all had a great time! It was so touching to see the kids get so excited, some of them having never been to the beach. They would literally play in the waves all day long. I am glad that they were all able to enjoy themselves. We girls were all able to donate a little bit to help make the trip possible and I am so glad that we were able to share this experience with them!

On Monday, we all woke up packed and ready to go. We walked out to the road where a large bus was waiting for us. It was similar to a charter bus, but Cambodian style and no bathroom. We were on our way when the bus decided to break down a few times, but we eventually made it. The trip down to the shore was something else! Most of the roads we took were narrow dirt roads. It was the bumpiest ride I have ever been on. I kind of enjoyed it though cause I felt like I was on a roller coaster some what haha! The bus was a stick shift which really surprised me, not that I know anything about buses. The kids had a great time on the ride down eating lots of candy that Kit had gotten for them. I tried some of their stuff and it was pretty good. Poor Ream was sick on the bus, and several other children got sick as well. It seems maybe they are not used to riding in moving vehicles that much, and especially a bus. I felt so bad for them, but when we stopped they all perked up.

We had to take a boat over to a little island called Rabbit Island. I don't know why they call it that; there are zero rabbits there. The boat ride was very interesting. There were several small wooden boats painted green and orange. We had to step down off of this big platform onto the boat. I got really scared because there was a high chance I was going to fall in! Even if I would have, it wouldn't have mattered since we got completely SOAKED on the boat ride to the island. None of us were really expecting this. The water was very choppy and the waves were pretty high. In combination with a small boat full of kids, and we think a humorous driver, it lead to us being splashed and rocking all over the place. We really had fun with it! We all put our hands up and were screaming and laughing. Even though we were getting wet, along with all of our luggage, it was definitely worth it. The kids loved it, and honestly, so did I.

Upon arriving at the island, we jumped off the boat into knee deep water to see only a small house on a little beach. We were a little confused at exactly how this was going to work. Then after a few pondering questions, we figured out our huts were on the other side of the island. We headed down a trial for about a good 20 minute walk with all of our luggage and supplies. I swear to you, it felt like we were on the show Lost haha! We finally got to our huts and settled in. There were many huts made of straw, wood, and bamboo. Each had a one bed with a mosquito net, a bathroom with a very strange toilet and shower situation, and a porch with some hammocks. The huts were pretty much see through and allowed for much air to come through everywhere. The wind was constantly blowing because we were very close to the shore. This was very much a relief since it tends to get really hot. There were palm trees everywhere and flowers and plants you couldn't imagine. Coconut trees were about every three feet and their were lots of chickens, dogs, and cats running around everywhere ( actually its pretty much like that everywhere in Cambodia no matter where you go). There were lots of little straw platforms that you could sit and lay on that were near the shore. The waves were nothing like I had seen before. They were HUGE and very powerful. The water wasn't clear like I thought it was going to be, but in the end it didn't matter. Each night the kids ate their normal Khmer style dinners while Kit, Ream, their boys, and us four girls, had other meals prepared for us at a little outdoor hut restaurant I guess you could call it. The choices were all Khmer except for a few things like cokes, french fries (which still tasted a little sweet, esp. the ketchup), and Cambodia's specialty, iced coffees. The joke is that you have to drink them fast before the ice melts though because there is no telling what is in that water! The coffees are made with condensed milk so they are very, very sweet. I had one and really liked it. Each night we would eat a Khmer dish that consisted of sometimes noodles with vegetables, beef, fried rice, chicken, and the Sam and Joe's favorite, "chocolate pancakes." These were actually just a thin flapjack with some nutella spread between the middle, but were pretty tasty. I think Sam and Joe pretty much only ate chocolate pancakes the entire time for every meal! It was so cute!

The kids were fascinated by the ocean. Most of them cannot swim, so we bought them all life jackets. These life jackets probably couldn't have saved their lives though because they were not very well made, but it was the best thing we could find at the little store on the mainland. They all raced to the water and jumped in head first! It was hilarious and so joyful to see all of their reactions! They would wake up, get in the water first thing, eat lunch, nap, get back in the water, dinner, and then back in the water! One of the helpers at the orphanage, Siem, had never been to the beach before herself, so this was her first time. Watching her enjoy the waves and splash around with such joy almost brought tears to my eyes. She was SO happy, and you could tell! All of the kids kept saying, "we want to live here!" The kids were constantly laughing and playing and being knocked over by the waves. They all loved it.

Not only did they enjoy the beach, but there were trails all over the island that would lead to little hidden sections of shoreline where there were beautiful rocks, shells, and crystal clear water . But, even though the beach was beautiful, it too, like the rest of Cambodia was just covered with garbage everywhere. The kids all made fishing poles out of bamboo and tried to go fishing....didn't really work out too well for them, so they moved on to crab hunting! There were so many crabs! The boys were really good at catching them! I was amazed at how fast those little guys can go, but the boys always managed to trap them somehow! Not only were there crabs, there was lots of wildlife! The kids came across snails (known as periwinkles), huge jelly fish, a sea cucumber and two sea urchins! We also encountered several large lizards, and a huge spider, along with some snakes. Not only was the wildlife awesome, but the seashells were unbelievable! They are pink and purple, big and small, shiny and striped, everything you can imagine! We all spent hours searching for the prettiest ones to bring back.

The trails were really cool and you never really knew where they would take you. A few of us would always venture off, but I would always get left behind because of what Ginny refers to as "pondering" haha! I just can't help it though! There were so many new things, I just had to take it all in and go off the paths just a little to see some of the most beautiful sights I had ever laid eyes on. I don't think there was one thing that I didn't take a picture of! I really don't mind wandering through the woods, or jungle I guess in this case, by myself because it gave me so much time to reflect on God's beautiful creation and let my cup of satisfaction be filled with His presence again and again to pour out to these children. In the process of taking these trails it did require to tread through the water a little bit, this was fun at first, but took a bad turn when I lost my flip flop in the water!  Its funny because this island eats shoes like a dryer eats socks! There are single sandals and flip flops pretty much everywhere. This wasn't very pleasant because the ocean floor was sooo incredibly rocky! I ended up getting a few cuts, but it was no big deal. We were all trying to hike our way around the whole island that day and after loosing my shoe I decided it may be easier to get back on the trail. I proceeded to take trail back to the starting place but ended up venturing even further off it seemed like. I was praying that the Lord would provide me with a shoe, and he most certainly did....after about thirty minutes. It was the right foot, just the one I needed. The kids have been laughing at me because my shoes don't match haha! One sweet girl even offered me her shoes to wear. It amazes me how selfless these kids can be. They always go barefoot...I don't see how they do it! They are always offering to give me something, give up a chair, carry something, you name it! I never expected this. They are so polite and I love them all. The boys I can tell are growing up to be godly men. They are wonderful.

While the kids were swimming in the water all day, we four girls got some time to hang out which was good. We even all got to get massages for only 5 dollars! These massages are another thing Cambodia is famous for; you can find them in the  city pretty much anywhere. They were under this little hut type structure made of bamboo and leaves like the others. I had never had a real massage before so I was a little apprehensive....it was enjoyable, but  I kind of felt like she was beating me up! Unfortunately, most of these famous massages that are offered everywhere, are not just a good back rub, but are involved in sinister acts that these poor women are trapped into doing. These poor women are forced into prostitution as slaves and are victims of human trafficking. This makes me really angry. One of the girls at the orphanage has a story similar to this but she was too young for them to use her; however her mother was involved.

 Each night there was something fun planned. One night we roasted marshmallows on the beach. I gave them all glow sticks as well which they all proceeded to turn into swords. One or two glow sticks ended up in the ocean, but they were lucky because the waves washed them back to shore. On the last night, we all had a big feast of shrimp and crabs with rice. The kids were thrilled! It was truly a treat for them. By the end of the trip we were all exhausted and sunburned, even the kids. I looked at myself in the mirror for the first time in several days. I didn't realize how sunburned I got as well!

The weather was pretty much perfect the whole three days but now as we are back at the orphanage the monsoon seasons is living up to its name. Never in my life have I seen rain like this before. Not even when there are threats of tornadoes. It doesn't last long but it is truly something else.

It will be good to get back into routine with the kids. I only have until Monday, so pray I can make it count. I love these children so much and I feel I have formed relationships with them. It is going to kill me to leave, but I have a feeling I will probably be back. In fact, while at the beach, the Lord really laid on my heart to try and get a team up to come maybe next summer. Who knows? Time will tell, and His timing is perfect.

Love,

Laura

1 comment:

  1. Laura - I have loved reading all your blogs. I finally caught up today. May God continue to bless you and protect you. May His love shine through you to all those kids. Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to hear all about it. Love, Amelia

    ReplyDelete