Monday, August 6, 2012

Peace.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for praying for me! I have been given such a peace that I cannot even explain and all fear is relinquished! The flights were very long and tedious, but all went smoothly. Things got a little confusing once I reached Seoul, but other than my suitcase wheel breaking, everything has been perfect! I sat by a world reonwn musician/composer who plays the viola on the way to Korea, we had some interesting conversations. Once I got to Siem Reap at about 10:30 at night, is when I got a little nervous. I went through the small airport and went outside and was met by a young man from the hotel I was staying at. I didn't know if we were going to get in a car, a bus, or what. Well, it was neither of those, it was a tuk-tuk. This is basically like an open carraige attached to the back of a motorcycle. I got on the tuk-tuk and we went off into the city. There were barley any street lights and to say that this guy was an insane driver would be an understatement haha. If you've ever been anywhere foreign, you'll know what I mean- traffic laws are nonexsistent. It was about a 30 mintue ride and after about 20 minutes, he turned and we started going on the dark, poverty stricken, back roads. That's when I got a little nervous. I thought to myself, Okay, Laura you are about to be sold in slavery. This obviously didn't happen, but I was a little apprehensive as we went on all the back roads.

I got to the hotel and checked in. It was mainly outdoors but the rooms were air conditioned with hot water. I got in the room and after a harsh reality check I just sat there on the bed in shock. This is it. I am here, in Cambodia, I made it, I thought. I got unpacked and ate a energy bar, took a shower, and went to bed. I cannot even describe to you everything I felt that night. I was given such an immense peace. I felt like I was in my own safe sanctuary in that little room. I knew for a fact that I was surrounded by angels and being watched over and protected. Never in my life have I felt so encompassed by this strong feeling of peace that surpasses all understanding. 

The next morning, I woke up, ate a very American breakfast, which I was dissappointed in because I really wanted to try something Khmer. But, since it was a hotel, they knew that people coming would probably prefer westernized food. I met the tuk-tuk at about 6:15 and we went off into the city back to the airport so I could catch a flight to Phnom Phen. It was interesting to see the same rout in the daylight. There is so much poverty and everything is so dirty. It is much different from what I experienced in the Domincan Republic. I took a very small propelled plane to Phnom Phen. Let's just say there was a little turbulance- really though, it was fun, I felt like I was on a rollercoaster.

I finally landed in the capital and met up with Kit, and later Ginny and Alissa. We met Jessica in the city and ate lunch at a little restaurant; the food was really good. We then went to the market to stock up on some food- groceries are very expensive here, so we got only what we couldn't find back in the village near the orphanage. 

We finally arrived at the hotel after about an hour drive. It was surreal. We got out of the car and were met by Ream, Kit's wife, and their two sons, Sam and Joseph-these two are a hoot! Then, after unloading, we were finally able to meet the kids! Most of them know english pretty well. I am trying to learn their names but having a little trouble. Some names are easy to remember like, Nop, Wat, Weed, Long, Tong, Minglee, where as others I cannot even pronounce. Ream gave us a tour of the orphanage, where the kids sleep, the gardens, the farm section-they have many, many animals and grow many vegetables. We then ate dinner with the kids at about 6. Our food was cooked separately by Mao, who is Ream's sister. The food was SO good! It was like rice with a meat, vegetables, and a grass like vegetable. We were all very full. 

After dinner, the kids take showers and have Bible study. Jessica does the worship and leads the study with a translator. We got to worship with the kids-what an experience! It is always so moving when you here other worshipping in a language other than your own. It reminds you that God is not confined and that everyone, everywhere, all over the world needs Jesus.

We formally introduced ourselves to the kids and then we were headed to bed. I am surprised I even remember anything from yesterday because, I felt like I was in a dream the whole time due to exhaustion from jet-lag. 

There are a view things that I am going to have to get used to. It is custom to take off your shoes whenever you enter a house- I normally even wear shoes inside my own home and hate being barefoot. It is very muggy and humid here, though yesterday was cool and breezy, probably about in the 80's. I am really trying hard to pick up on the language. I've got my little flashcards and stuff, but still feel completely lost. haha. 

The children are so unbelievably precious. They are all so disciplined, so far, haha, and seem to all really enjoy each other. They have chores everyday which mainly consist of feeding and tending to the animals and working in the garden, others help with the kitchen. Yesterday, when some of the boys were doing their chores in the farm, they were about to kill a turkey-we all decided it would be best if we didn't see that just yet. I am glad I didn't, but I know I will be witnessing a lot of different things that I am not used to and that is the fun part.

One of the kids, I think it is Boren, or Darrow, I can't remember, has a horrible scar on the right side of his face, I can only imagine what that is from. The kids come from abusive, poverty stricken homes. Some of them have really rough pasts. 

I can feel Christ here. He is here and He is working here at AGHO. It is very obvious. The thought of coming here long term scares me a little to think about, but I do feel the Lord has placed a desire on my heart. I don't know what's going to happen, but God does. I am trying to be as open and receptive as possible, please pray me about this. As I was talking to Kit about the school, he was telling me about a science class and how he wants more interactive, hands-on, visual teaching. See, that is exactly what I want to do, whether in the U.S. or here or wherever. I love science and I want to make it fun for the kids, and it is something that is universal- the laws of physics don't change. 

Feeling a little nauseous with headache, and still very tired this morning. Please pray that the Lord would give me, and the other girls, the ability to fight our flesh. I am so excited to be here finally, and I can't thank you all enough for all of the prayers and encouragement. It makes SUCH a difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Not sure what God has in store for the next few weeks, but I ready and willing to do what He asks of me. That's easy to say, but VERY hard to actually do. Please pray for preserverance for us all, even here at the beginning. 

I will try to take some pictures today and get them up here!

God Bless,

Laura :)

1 comment:

  1. I can tell from your words that God is with you & is guiding your thoughts & steps. He Will confirm those things that he has already revealed to you. Continuing to pray the armor of God over you.

    ReplyDelete