Tuesday, August 7, 2012

His light will shine when all else fades


8/7
Yesterday was a really good day. I was able to teach an English class with the younger group. They know some English, but not much so it can be kind of difficult to convey what I am trying to get across. They are pretty well behaved. They listen and are attentive most of the time. It’s so sweet because whenever they answer a question, they stand up. Its part of the culture here, I’m assuming. I really enjoyed teaching the class. It just gives me confirmation that I chose the right career path…now the question is just where.

We got to go to the village market yesterday. I was not anticipating having this experience while here, but I am so glad I did. The market is just down the road from the orphanage. We take bikes. It was like what you see on tv national geographic. There were meats hanging, pigs head, weird fish stuff, and lots of fruits and vegetables. Since we went in the afternoon and not the morning, there were scarce pickings. I bought some bananas. They are really really tiny. I tried them last night, and wasn’t really a fan. I also got an apple and a pear which I have yet to eat. The woman selling us fruit was trying to rip us off since we were obviously white. Haha. Glad we had Jessica with us to help us understand a little bit better. She is really good with the language and picked it up pretty quick…I can’t even remember the kids name yet, but I am proud to say I do know a few Khmer phrases, such as, “what is your name?” The one thing I say the most to the kids. They are all so beautiful and I have so much fun with them. Sometimes I’ll say something and they’ll laugh at me….I wonder what it is that I am doing that tickles them J When we were in the village market, some of the kids went with us and wanted to get something to eat. They ordered some buhbah, or buhbi, which is just a rice soup. I wanted to try some, but haven’t gotten that brave yet. It worries me since it is from the village, even though it’s probably fine because its boiled, I still will have to work up the courage. We all sat down at a make-shift table with plastic chairs while some of the kids ate. The young boy who was helping serve gave us all glasses of “water.” I was shocked to see how dirty the water was. I couldn’t believe it. It literally was brown. I am glad that they are trying to put up some wells nearby. On the way back from the market we took the back way through some rice fields, it was SO beautiful!

The food here is so incredibly good! Mao is Ream’s sister and she cooks our meals. I basically feel like I am going to a Chinese restaurant every day. Really, it’s even better than anything like that because it’s all fresh, like killed the chicken yesterday, picked the vegetables this morning fresh!
Ream came down and talked to us girls about the education situation in Cambodia. I could talk about how bad education is in Alabama, but it is luxury compared to what is offered here. The public school system is so incredibly corrupt. Most of the teachers are not certified, and BOUGHT their degrees without any schooling what so ever. The school day lasts from about 7ish-6, I think. But, there is a trick to it, see the kids have about 2-3 hour long breaks during the day. If the teacher decides to stay and help the kids during this break, they get paid extra. So, out of selfish gain, they don’t teach during the normal school hours, but during the break so they can get paid overtime plus what they earn during the teaching hour. If the kids aren’t able to stay for tutoring, they don’t learn. When it comes to the tests, the teachers bribe the kids and tell them they can get a good grade if they bring them rice or pay them money.  The teachers are so incompetent. Ream said that they don’t teach at all, that they will just go outside and sit around and talk.  When I was helping some of the kids with their school work in math, I was surprised at the level of math that they are doing. Some of it I could not do, especially when one came up to me and asked me to help her with a physics problem…yeah, right. This is why the school the orphanage is trying to add to is so important. They actually have the true desire to help these children learn and equip them to rise up in their own society as a leader who can promote change. Most of the Khmer people are very stuck in their old ways, no matter what you try to tell them. A church who is partnering with the orphanage is trying to build wells so the people can have access to clean water, but the people refuse to use them sometimes and continue drinking dirty water.

I now will be teaching Kit and Ream's son who is in about 3rd grade every morning for about an hour. Jessica normally works with him,but I am glad I can give her a much needed break. We had our first learning time today, and it was really fun. I'll also be continuing to teach the younger kids english class. Tonight, I am also doing Bible study with them. Kit has said that all of the children have said that they are professing Christians, but he says he isn't really sure if they understand what all that means. I think I am going to teach on Romans 8:1 tonight, and talk about sin, how it separates us from God, and how Jesus is the only way for us to have access to God because of His death on a cross when He took our sin and God's wrath. I hope I can communicate the gospel in a meaningful way that they can understand. Please pray that I do. 

We are going to try and take the kids to the beach for a little summer vacation for a few days.  This should be very interesting. I hope that everything works out for us to be able to do this with the kids. I know it would mean the world to them.

I am still shocked by the poverty. I thought I had witnessed poverty in the Domincan (and the reason I compare everything to that is because its the only other international mission trip I've been on). There is just so much poverty here. Even in the city, things are very dirty and rough in most places.

So far this has been a great experience. I pray that the Lord would open up my eyes to whatever He has in store. I don't know what my future with Cambodia will hold, but I am certain that there is one. I am going to try and not think about it too much though, and just enjoy my time here. I don't want to worry or burden myself with thoughts of uncertainty or anxiety about what will come. Please pray I can fight against this tendency to worry. Sufficient is today's troubles.

The kids get up every morning around 5:30. They do their chores and eat breakfast, do laundry, then they study bible and school work. They are taught the english class based on group and while others are learning, some are playing. Lunch is at about 11. The kids have a new verse they learn each week and all recite it in unison before blessing the food. It is so sweet to hear the little children pray in Khmer. 

As some of you know, I am a really big nerd when it comes to things like plants and bugs and animals, I just can't help it- it fasinates me! So far I've witnessed a weird looking toad, small bluish gecko, large ugly cockroach, and a bug that seemed like it was a mixture between a grasshopper, spider, and beatle. It was very strange. I discovered this bug because one of the little boys was throwing it at some of the girls, and they would throw it back. It was hilarious, granted they were supposed to be paying attention since it was bible study time. The kids do the funniest things. Its fascinating to see what they will do with some of the simplest stuff. For example, they have this long stretchy string that they are constantly jumping over, under, or saying a rhyme and jumping over it. They kept chanting something and hopping on one foot, I finally asked one of the girls what they were saying and she said they were saying, "Icecream, icecream!" Haha I found that rather entertaining. Ginny and I tried to join the fun, but it didn't really work out. We were better as just bystanders.

Last night, the weather was cool and breezy. We were able to play outside with the kids- this is always my favorite part. I love interacting with them! Two of the little girls were so precious! They kept on putting these little white flowers in my hair which some I didn't know were there til later discovered that night!

There was one boy, I am not sure of his age, who came in this morning with some of the girls who had gone to the market. He is deaf and is special needs. The joy he has is overwhelming! He is so joyful, vibrant, and happy! He melts my heart, he truly does. He cannot speak, but often uses some sign language and gestures. God bless him, he is such an inspiration. I can just see the joy he has, so much so that he just dances! I pray the Lord can break me of control so I can feel as free as he does, because, surely I have freedom in Christ!

Please continue to pray for all of us here, Jessica, Alissa, Ginny, and myself. Also please pray for Ream, she has been under the weather a tad. 

Posting pictures soon, I promise!

God Bless,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment