Saturday, August 18, 2012

the fight, the fun, and what's to come

What a day! Today has probably been my favorite day out of my whole stay. We had a little Bible study with Ream and the other staff this morning which I appreciate. I then worked on a few things I am typing up for the new pre-k. Then, after lunch, we decided it was time to pull our prank! Ginny and I filled up almost 100 water balloons! We tricked the kids into thinking that they were all going to have a big group picture taken, but when Jessica counted to three, Ginny and I pelted them with water balloons from the balcony! We got them good! They had no idea! Little did we know they had their own set of water balloons! They all ran up to their rooms and got their balloons and filled them up. It was full on war at this point! No one was safe and we all ended up soaking wet! It escalated quickly. At first, it was just balloons, next came the hose, then came cups of water, then came full on buckets of water doused over our heads! This all went on for a good hour or so. We all had such a fun time just goofing off and playing around. We were all sopping wet by the end!

After the water fight fiasco, things calmed down as we all changed into dry clothes and the kids started working on their chores. Meanwhile, I went up to the girls room and was hanging out with them. I love doing this! They are so special and precious to me! We goofed around, sang some songs, danced, talked, and made plans for a "girls night" tomorrow night where we can paint toenails! I brought them some new polish so they are very excited about this! We all ate dinner and then played around some more. Saturdays are their free days so we have extra down time with them. Some of the kids were dancing and singing, we all decided to join in while others were coloring. Instead of movie night, we watched a slideshow of pictures from the trip and other recent times. The kids all cracked up at some of the pictures!

Tomorrow is my last day and I am devastated. It all came and went so quickly. I have no idea how I am going to leave this kids. It is going to be heart wrenching. I hate goodbyes. Hopefully I'll be able to come back. I most certainly would like to but I don't know what the future holds. The kids gave me a bracelet today that spells out "we love laura" I almost cried when they gave it to me. I am bringing some of their bracelets back with me to sell for them. I am so excited about this!

Monday we will travel to Phnom Phen and on the way go to the genocide museum and Toul Sleng, a former high school used for a torture prison. I am interested in learning more at witnessing first hand, but I am also dreading this at the same time. I get a pit in my stomach just talking about it with some people, especially those affected by it. We will then go to Siem Reap where my flight will leave out and go see Angkor Wat. I am looking forward to all of this, but I don't think I will be able to truly enjoy myself because I'll be thinking about all of the warm faces and unashamed bear hugs I am leaving behind.

There's still so much I could say, but I will leave it at that. Thank you for the prayers, that change my life.

Blessings,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment