Friday, August 10, 2012

Rain, school, and new shoes


Woke up yesterday to some clouds that eventually ended with some heavy rain. It made it really humid. I taught Sam, Kit and Ream's son, the older english class, and the youngest english class. I was not sure how much english the older kids knew, but I was shocked at their abilities. I am going to start reading to both classes everyday. It is so important that they are read to so they can hear what english (or southern english ;) ) sounds like. Since I don't necessarily have any lesson plans or curriculum, it can be difficult to come up with things that will be on their level but also will challenge them. I am amazed at how much the older kids know. They are so bright! Since most of the younger kids don't know much english, it is hard to sometimes keep them quiet or give them instructions on what I want them to do. I am trying to do things in a pattern so they can know what to expect. I am going to try to learn some phrases in Khmer that will help me keep their attention. 

Kit brought us to the school today. The school was originally just a church, but now it functions as a school as well. He showed us all the classrooms. There are about 5. They have about 15 desks to a room. The rooms are medium size and have a few posters on the wall, but other than that there are no other resources for the students. Not only do the orphanage kids up to 6th grade go to the school, but kids (who can afford $6 a month) from the village attend as well. Kit and Ream are trying to add upper grades to the school because it only goes to 6th grade right now. The school has only been open for about a year. They will be building another building this month to add to the school. The high school age kids have to go to public school and they hate it. As I've mentioned, the public school system is so corrupt and the students learn nothing. It amazes me how much these kids want to learn. Children in the United States hate school, but these kids love learning, so much so that they study a few hours a day even on their summer vacation.

I'm getting to know the children better and better each day and can see their individual personalities coming out. Some of them are very outgoing and love to play and interact, especially the ones who know english pretty well, whereas others are very shy and tend to stay at a distance. The smallest child is named Nyatt. She is so precious. I am trying to get to know her, but she keeps her distance. It makes me wonder why. I am getting better and better with the names- of the girls atleast. I can pretty much name them all, whereas the boys I am still having a little trouble. I am still working on that.

The boys got soccer cleats and jerseys from Alissa. They love playing soccer and normally play barefoot but don't have to anymore. They were thrilled! It was so joyful seeing them be so excited over this. Alissa told me later that night that one of the children came up to her and asked her again how long she was staying, the girl then proceeded to say with excitement that they could have the shoes for 3 months. They didn't understand that they were getting to keep the shoes. They were estatic when they found out. They also got jersey to wear which they were super excited about.

Last night I went up to the little girls room to give them some gifts of chap stick and hair barrettes. They were so excited and grateful. I still have a few more things for them that I can’t wait to give to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment